Gemstone Spotlight~ Lapis Lazuli

The gemstone spotlight is a new feature I'm starting. I am not a gemstone expert, so this is all information I have collected. I want to introduce my readers to some gemstones while learning more about them myself.

Lapis Lazuli is one of the hot gemstones for this spring/summer season. This lovely gemstone gets its name from two Latin words; "Lapis" meaning stone, and "Azuli" meaning blue. Lapis Lazuli is sometimes used as a semi-precious substitute for the September birthstone, Sapphire.

Lapis Lazuli is a blue gemstone bearing flecks or feathering in silvery white or brassy yellow The depth of blue color varies greatly as well. The white inclusions are created by white calcite and the brassy inclusions are created by pyrite. The finest Lapis Lazuli has even blue color with little or no veining from other elements.

Does this post leave you craving more knowledge about Lapis Lazuli?? Well then check out these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapis_lazuli

http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/lapis.html

0 comments: